D.A. Powell to judge New Southern Voices
The winner of the inaugural New Southern Voices Poetry Book Prize will be announced in summer 2013. The $1,000 prize, which includes publication in 2014, will be judged by poet D.A. Powell.
Submissions are closed.
The biennial contest is open to all poets who have either never published a full-length collection of poetry, or who have only published one full-length collection. Entrants must currently reside in and have had residency in one or more of the following states for a minimum of 24 consecutive months: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia. (Residency will be verified before prize winner is announced.)
Manuscripts should be between 48-120 pages for this contest. Friends, colleagues, and students of the judge, D.A. Powell, are not eligible. Writers who have published 2 or more full-length collections of poetry or who do not meet the residency requirements are NOT eligible. Postal and online submissions will be accepted. Manuscripts must be received between January 1, 2013 and April 1, 2013. Judging will take place during the months of April and June 2013 with a winner announced in July 2013. The reading fee for this prize is $25. Hub City Press will to publish the winning selection in January 2014.
- Hub City Press will accept typed poetry manuscript submissions of 48-120 pages between January 1, 2013 and April 1, 2013.
- Simultaneous submissions of the same manuscript to other publishers or contests are acceptable but please notify us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your manuscript has been accepted elsewhere.
- While translations and manuscripts in languages other than English are not acceptable, manuscripts that occasionally use words from other languages are perfectly fine.
- No revisions of submitted manuscripts will be allowed during the contest.
- We ask that you do NOT include bio or acknowledgements page with your manuscript since all manuscripts will be read anonymously by our readers, editors, and judge.
- Manuscripts should include two title pages. One should include title, author’s name and contact information (this should be the only page that includes the author’s name). The other should have the manuscript’s title only.
- All physical manuscripts should be typed on standard white paper, printed on one side only, paginated (with table of contents), and bound with a single clip.
- If mailing your manuscript, please include a check for $25 made to Hub City Press, or a receipt of a Paypal payment below. Address: New Southern Voices, Hub City Press, 186 West Main St., Spartanburg SC 29306.